Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. If a meeting begins at 7:00 PM, do you get there at 6:45? 7:05? Plan to leave your home at 7:00? Hope everyone else will be late?
2. How does this parable relate to Matthew 24?
3. In what ways were the 10 girls alike? What unexpected event takes place (verses 5 and 6)? With what embarrassing consequence (verse 8)?
4. What made the “wise virgins” different from the “foolish virgins”?
- They had been Girl Scouts.
- They didn’t fall asleep.
- They were always prepared.
- They made responsible decisions.
5. What is the “oil” that keeps your “lamp” lit?
6. Who are you most like in this story?
7. What would you call the refusal of the five wise bridesmaids to share their oil?
8. What did the bridegroom mean when he said, “I don’t know you”?
- “I don’t recognize you.”
- “You don’t have an invitation.”
- “True friends wold take my coming more seriously.”
- “Your too late.”
9. How do you feel about Jesus saying that the door to the kingdom gets closed for some?
- It doesn’t sound like something a loving God would do.
- They had their chance and blew it.
- We should just be glad people get invited at all.
- I’m glad this is God’s business.
10. What is the point of this parable?
- Each of us needs our own relationship with the Lord.
- You can’t obtain faith in Christ just by being around others who do.
- There is a limited opportunity to enter God’s kingdom.
- The second coming of Christ will arrive unexpectedly.
- Be prepared for Christ’s return.
11. Have you in the past (or in the present) tried to live off the “oil” of someone else’s faith? If so, whose faith?
- my parents’
- my spouse’s
- my friends’
- my church’s
- my small group’s
- other: __________
12. What does it mean to keep watch?
- try to figure out the signs of Christ’s return
- patiently wait for a future event
- actively prepare in the present
- be ready when Jesus comes back
13. What does Jesus expect Christians to do with their lives in anticipation of His return?
14. In what ways does Christ’s second coming affect the way you live? How are you staying prepared for His return?
15. At the final wedding banquet, will you be escorted inside? How do you know?