(click to open in a new window)
1. What have you been told about the particulars of your birth?
2. Growing up, were you Mom’s favorite or Dad’s favorite? How did that feel?
3. Growing up, what was the “worst swap” you ever made with a brother or sister? Why did you do it?
4. From this passage alone, how would you describe Esau? Jacob? Who would you prefer as a son? As a brother?
5. Which of Jacob’s traits might fit you: Quiet? Homebound? Mom’s boy? Sneaky (or clever)?
6. Which of Esau’s traits might fit you: Hairy? Hunter? Dad’s boy? Needs instant gratification?
7. Have you ever gone to your brother or sister for help only to be taken advantage of? Explain?
8. Have you ever taken advantage of a family member who came to you in a vulnerable state? Explain.
9. How can you move beyond these incidents to love and forgiveness?
10. In your relationship with your family this past week, did you feel more favored or more overlooked? Why?
11. How did you feel in your relationship with God this past week? Why?
12. What could Isaac and Rebekah have done (if anything) to prevent the conflicts between their twin sons?
13. Do you think what Jacob did was justified? If so, why? If not, why not?
14. How has God blessed you in spite of your faults?
15. Are you taking full advantage of your spiritual “birthright” – the blessings available to God’s children? How are you selling God (and yourself) short?