Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Are you a lefty or a righty? What things do you do equally well left-handed and right-handed?
2. What is a favorite memory you have about your grandparents?
3. What “privilege of rank” did you have as a child that your siblings or friends did not seem to have?
4. Consider the first-born sons of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph. Consider in each case who received the blessing (or birthright). What does this unconventional pattern teach you about how God chooses His servants?
5. Out of all the events in Jacob’s 147 years, why do think this one act of blessing Joseph’s sons is singled out by the writer of Hebrews (Hebrews 11:21) as an example of outstanding faith?
Although Joseph was only one of the twelve brothers who formed the tribes of Israel, his father Israel (Jacob) had adopted Joseph’s two sons as his own (Genesis 48:5, 6). Therefore Joseph got a double share of the family inheritance and there are really thirteen tribes of Israel.