Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What disease do you fear most? Why? Is the one you fear considered fatal, contagious, inevitable, inherited, crippling, embarrassing or what?
2. With whom do you find it easier to talk more openly: your doctor or your pastor? Why do you think this is?
3. Given the situation the Israelites find themselves in, why would it be smart to be concerned about infectious diseases? How would good physical health promote good spiritual health?
4. Why do you think health laws (such as those in this passage) are part of Israelite religion? What do preliminary symptoms (“white spots”) of these various skin diseases (leprosy, rashes, boil, burns, sores) have to do with religious defilement?
5. Why do you think the burden for health inspection and law enforcement falls to the priests? What does this say about the position of priests in Israel?
6. How important is good health to you? Rank yourself on a scale of 1 (sickly slob) to 10 (health nut). How do you think your lifestyle promotes good health?
7. In what ways does maintaining good health promote your spiritual vitality?
8. How do you react to sickness in others and/or in yourself? Do you see ill-health as a sign of something wrong “spiritually”?
9. What can you do to make sure that you make the proper response to illness?
10. What do you think about testing for infectious diseases? About quarantines?
11. What role should Christians take in the care of the sick, especially the “unclean” members of our society?