Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Where you work and live, where do people go to get away from the boss or the parent with an “axe to grind”?
2. Who was the “avenger of blood” (see Leviticus 24:17)? How would you explain to someone unfamiliar with the Bible what is the duty of the injured party’s nearest kin?
3. How would you describe the function of the cities of refuge?
- Safety for criminals awaiting trial?
- Time for relationships to heal?
- Interruption of the vicious life-for-life principle?
- Or something else?
4. If commissioned to create a feature film based on this passage, what would you entitle the film? Who would you cast in the following parts. . .
- The hero?
- The accused?
- The mayor?
- The blood avenger?
- The victim or martyr?
5. In reference to Question #4, what does your casting reveal about your understanding of this passage?
6. Have you ever been accidentally hurt by a friend? How serious was this? How did this situation make you feel? How did it affect your friendship?
7. When you have conflicts with other Christians, how do you resolve them? How might a “city of refuge” help you to subdue your desire for revenge?