Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What kind of music do you like? What local radio station or music group typifies your taste?
2. Read this song out loud and imagine yourself as an Israelite listening to the song. Is theological truth being conveyed here in logical, propositional form (stating facts)? Or in feeling tones and painted pictures (stating impressions)? What difference does that make in how you interpret this song?
3. What kind of parent is God (verses 10 – 14, 18)? By contrast, what kind of child was Israel (verses 15 – 18)?
4. If this song were set to music with solo parts and a common refrain, what verse(s) would you choose as the repeated refrain? What would be the message of your imagined song lyrics?
5. In what sense is this song your song? Do Christians sing anything like the truths of this song? If so, what?
6. What does it mean that God is your “rock”? How can you live this truth?
7. Is it harder to follow God in times of prosperity, or in times of adversity? Why?
8. The Israelites made God jealous by their “worthless idols” (verse 21). How do you make God jealous?
9. Do verses 28 and 29 apply to your nation? How so? What can you and your fellow citizens do to grow in discernment and wisdom?
10. Who or what are you tempted to rely on rather than God? Why? What prompts you to trust and obey God?
11. What is the lesson of this song for you?