Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What dream still sticks in your mind? What’s so bothersome or motivational about that dream?
2. What camping experience (recent or childhood) tested your ingenuity or your survival skills?
3. What do you think of God’s “winnowing” Gideon’s army? Which makes more sense to you – the reduction having to do with fear or the reduction having to do with lapping water? What does lapping water have to do with anything?
4. In what way is Gideon’s winnowing experience similar to the apostle Paul’s experience of God’s grace made perfect in human weakness (see 2 Corinthians 12:7 – 10)?
5. How do the object lessons of chapters 6 and 7 compare with the prevailing message from today’s success-oriented, “bigger-is-better” culture?
6. In your life, when has God used one of your weaknesses or failures to help someone else? Which weakness of yours does this story prompt you to see differently today?
7. Where are you feeling outnumbered or in need of immediate intervention?
8. How do you feel about letting God fight that battle for you ?
- anything is better that what I’ve done
- I really want to do that
- I still think I can handle it myself
- okay, but how do I turn the situation over to Him?
9. Why is it important that God get the credit for winning your battles?
- because He fights them
- because He needs the applause
- because I need to praise Him
- because He deserves the credit