Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What food are you craving right now?
2. What activity this past month simply exhausted you ?
3. In the A to Z roll call your teachers used for checking attendance and assigning seats, who do you recall was first? Or last? Where were you? How did that make you feel?
4. What do you think of the Ephraimites’ behavior (verse 1; see also chapter 7:3, 23, 24)? Justified? Petty? Was Gideon’s response to them appropriate? Diplomatic? Cowardly?
5. After the Ephraimites, Gideon runs into more detours in hot pursuit of Zebah and Zalmunna. Why do you think Succoth and Peniel refuse him food? In your opinion, did Gideon overreact to them? Or was he justified?
6. What do you think such detours and criticisms were doing to the “insides” of Gideon? What kept him from turning back and forgetting about Zalmunna and Zebah: God? Pride? Compulsiveness?
7. When Zebah and Zalmunna tell Gideon, “come, do it yourself”, were they afraid, cocky or humiliated?
8. On a scale of 1 – 10, what marks would you give yourself in handling criticism? What marks would others give you? What would you like to do differently about this (if anything)?
9. What do you want to pursue this year? Next month? Where are you likely to face some detours or setbacks in your life’s pursuit?
10. What tends to become an “ephod” in your life? Family? Car? Work? A prized possession? A hobby? How will you submit that to God?
11. What is the moral of Gideon’s life/leadership?
12. After Gideon’s death, the Israelites soon forgot God. What can you and your church do to help make sure that does not happen to you?