Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What experience have you had with “match-making”?
2. In your social circles, is it always “boy-ask-girl”, or can women also ask men for dates? Are there enough to go around? Or is the deck stacked? Which way? How come?
3. Israel is warring one moment. Then vowing and weeping the next moment. What does this tell you about the fickleness of human nature? The foolishness of war? The seriousness of vows? The bonds of the Covenant?
4. Is Israel to be commended or criticized for making this vow? What about for keeping this vow, once it is made?
5. In all this, where is God?
- keeping their feet to the fire?
- letting them off the hook?
- hearing their complaints?
6. What will result from this seizure at Shiloh (see 1 Samuel 9:20 -24)? What does that tell you about God’s providence or sovereignty?
7. With 20 – 20 hindsight, how do you view some of the reckless things you’ve said and done in the past? Do you “shoot-first-ask-questions-later”? Or do you have “foot-in-mouth” disease? What did Israel have?
8. Israel felt like one of its own members had been “cut off” (see Revelation 7:4 – 8; where Benjamin is still missing). Where are you feeling “cut off” these days from your past roots? From your future inheritance? From your current family?
9. Where do you go to ask God, “why is this happening to me?” How would you like God to intervene?
10. What bottom-line slogan sums up your understanding of the book of Judges? Where do you feel judged by the object lessons? Where do you feel encouraged by the Judge who delivers His people every time?