Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What would it take to rouse you from deep sleep? What is the most embarrassing or damaging thing you have managed to sleep through?
2. Growing up, when were you most homesick? When do you tend to feel homesick now?
3. Compare this passage and David’s encounter with Saul in the cave (1 Samuel 24). What are the similarities and differences? How has God humbled Saul? Exalted David?
4. What evidence do we have that the Lord is with David? Why has the Lord twice delivered Saul into David’s hands this way? Would the Lord really have been angry if David had killed Saul?
5. Why is there “no one like Abner in Israel” (verse 15)? If you had been Abner, how would you respond to David’s taunts?
6. When David and Saul confer this time (compare with chapter 24:9 – 22), what is David’s most concerned to protect? Why do you think so?
- his innocence
- his inheritance
- his faithfulness to God
- to the Lord’s anointed
- his own life
- a place in Israel to properly worship
7. How does David show he is wiser and less trusting of Saul this time around?
8. In what area of your life do you need to be comforted with this reminder, “The Lord rewards righteousness and faithfulness”? Where is your faithfulness being tested?
9. Failing to see God act on your behalf, are you tempted to take matters into your own hands? In what area?
10. Describe one of your “desert experiences” from the past. Are you in one now? What do you hope to learn from this one?