Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What are the political leanings of your family? Which way do you lean?
2. What pressing deadline are you facing right now? What will happen if you don’t get it done in the next three days?
3. When have you lost a job to someone else? Or when have you been passed over for a promotion you felt you deserved? How did you feel about that?
4. In what ways do events of the previous chapter (especially 2 Samuel 19:41 – 43) fuel Sheba’s revolt?
5. Could it be that Joab catching Amasa by his beard is the origin of that refrain, “I’ve got you by the hair of your chinny-chin-chin”?
6. What impact do the blood and guts of Amasa have on Joab’s men? What impact do such lurid details have on you?
7. How does this story illustrate the wisdom of the woman? Who does she remind you of? Why?
8. How would you evaluate David’s cabinet of royal officials? Who has served David most faithfully? Who would you impeach for breaking your “code of ethics”? Who is no longer serving at the post they were given (see 2 Samuel 8:15 – 18)?
9. When have you been especially tempted to desert your King? For what reason? What kept you from going AWOL?
10. When your status or authority is diminished by someone else, how does that make you feel? When resentment builds up, how do you keep that in check? Where might resentment be getting the better of you now?