Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What kind of food or drink would really “hit the spot” right now? Will you have to go out to get it?
2. How do you feel about going to the dentist? Fear? Clenched jaw? Quivering mouth? Glad someone is taking care of you?
3. What festival begins after the first full moon of the Jewish New Year (verses 1 – 3; see also Leviticus 23:34 – 36)? What is the purpose of the celebration (see Leviticus 23: 42, 43)?
4. From what “basket” are the people free (verse 6)? What test did God give them at Meribah (verse 7; see Numbers 20:1 – 13)?
5. Does God’s mood fit the party spirit (verses 8 – 12)? What does God want the people to do? How should reliving the past for seven days help get the message through?
6. How else would Israel benefit by listening to the Lord (verses 13 – 16)? What is “honey from the rock” (verse 16; see Deuteronomy 32:13, 14)?
7. What excites you about your relationship with God? Have you experienced the freedom and spontaneity expressed in this psalm? If so, how? If not, why not?
8. Does your church have festivals that commemorate or even act out the past? If so, what truths could God be trying to teach in them?
9. Has God ever lifted a burden from your shoulders? What was it? What happened? Are you carrying a burden now?
10. Are you stubborn? Is it a good quality or does it trap you in “your own devices”? How do stubbornness and persistence differ?