Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Have you ever worked away from home? Traveled on the job? Was it fun or tiresome?
2. If you could conscript 153,600 people to work for you, what would you have them do?
3. Who are the losers in Solomon’s projects? How does conscription differ from slavery?
4. Who will work the fields to support this workforce? Do you think this project justifies the hardships induced? Why or why not?
5. Have you ever had to force others to do things they didn’t like, to get an important job done? What feelings did the project evoke? What prayers?
6. Do you find the government’s financial demands a burden? What else might you do with your money?
Note: It should be noted that Solomon’s policy of forced labor sowed dissension in the kingdom, especially among the resentful northern tribes.