Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Have you ever been given a warning for a traffic violation, instead of a ticket? How did you respond to the warning?
2. Why does the text mention Rehoboam’s ancestral lineage twice (verses 21 and 31; see also chapter 11:1, 2)?
3. Has Solomon’s sin born fruit in the life of his son and in Israel (verses 22 – 24)?
4. What is the purpose of the Egyptian attack (verses 25 – 28)? How would Solomon have felt seeing his precious treasures stolen? How would the forced laborers and craftsmen have felt?
5. Who does the writer imply is to blame for the pillage: Shishak? Rehoboam? The people of Israel? God? What had God warned (see Deuteronomy 28:15, 25, 29)?
6. What are the modern Asherah poles? What pagan rites today (overt or subtle) lead people away from the true God?
7. How does God warn His people today about sinful practices to be avoided? Have you been warned lately?