Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. What might qualify or disqualify you from being a spy?
2. Did you ever receive directions that were totally wrong? Did you find your way, after all?
3. What about this story do you find most amazing?
- the way the prophet Elisha knew the Arameans’ every move
- the presence of the heavenly hosts around Elisha
- that Elisha and his servant were able to see the heavenly hosts
- that the Arameans were blinded
- that Elisha was able to lead the enemy into Samaria – Israel’s capital
- that the Israelites had a feast for their enemies and then sent them home
4. Why is the king of Israel so well prepared for war (verses 8 – 10)? Why does this enrage Ben-Hadad, the king of Aram?
5. Why does Ben-Hadad suspect it’s the work of a double agent (verse 11)? Why should be believe the claim that Elisha was the culprit?
6. What made the king of Aram the most upset?
- he couldn’t defeat Israel
- he suspected a snitch in his army
- he discovered his bedroom had been bugged
7. What is Ben-Hadad’s solution (verses 13 and 14)? Why does he think he can sneak up on Elisha? Does he (verse 15)?
8. How would you feel when Elisha said, “those who are with us are more than those who are with them”?
- Elisha is dreaming
- Our troops must be on the way
- Elisha knows something I don’t
- I wish I had Elisha’s faith
9. What two miracles does Elisha perform and for whose benefit (verses 17, 18)? What do you make of this “vision” and “blindness”?
10. Was Elisha’s deception in verse 19 okay? Why should the soldiers believe him”?
11. What would you call Elisha’s leading the Arameans to Samaria?
12. In what situation do you need some heavenly “horses and chariots of fire” to help you? If they were at your command, how would you deploy them?
13. Why weren’t the Arameans killed?
- they were captured by the Lord, not through a human battle
- Israel “turned the other cheek”
- better to “kill them with kindness”
- it caused the Arameans to stop raiding Israel’s territory
14. What makes it easier to be kind to your adversaries?
- when I have the upper hand
- when I realize the spiritual dimension of the conflict
- when I take time to pray for them
- when I think about my blessings
15. Does being one of God’s people mean always having the upper hand? Explain.
16. Is a little deception okay, when it achieves a worthwhile goal?
17. What military strategy is Elisha modeling which applies to the evangelism efforts of you and your church?
18. Is love always stronger than violence? Why doe we resort to violence more readily than love?