Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Were you caught staring at anyone this week? Odd couple? Pretty girl? Good-looking guy? If caught, how did you feel?
2. What dog might you be compared with: snow dog? mutt? pit bull? warm puppy? trick poodle?
3. Why would a pagan seek the prophet’s counsel or be given an audience (verses 7 and 8; see 1 Kings 19:15)?
4. How do Elisha and Hazael keep the truth from Ben-Hadad (verses 10 and 14)?
5. Why the stare (verses 11 and 12)? Will Elisha’s words avert disaster, help bring it on or rationalize it after the fact?
6. Why does Hazael compare himself to a “mere dog” (verse 13)?
7. How does this story relate to the adage: “what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him”?
8. When might it be okay to tell a lie?
- to a bandit
- to a jilted lover
- to a person intent on killing your family
- to a cancer patient
9. What can you tell by a person’s eyes? How good are you at “reading” people?