Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Who would you nominate as “Person of the Decade” – one who has most influenced your life?
2. What is the most important personality trait your parents passed on to you?
3. What did Jehoram have going for, and against him (2 Kings 8:16 – 18; see also 1 Kings 22:41 – 44)? How could he stand up to the evil of Ahab?
4. What, if any, conditions does God’s promise to David have (2 Kings 8:19; see also 1 Kings 11:36 – 38)?
5. Who defeated Edom (1 Kings 8:20 – 22; see also 1 Kings 22:45 – 47)? Shouldn’t they have their own king? What the political fallout of Edom’s revolution?
6. Why did Ahaziah, Jehoram’s youngest son succeed his father as king of Judah? How old was he when he became king?
7. What was the nature of Ahaziah’s brief reign? What role did his mother Athaliah play in that reign? Why do you think she was such a dominant force over her son? (Remember: Athaliah was the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel).
8. How does Jehoram’s story end with the king in disgrace and dishonor?
9. Jehoram and Ahaziah could have used better role models. What friends of yours are positive role models for your children? For you?
10. How are you a controlling person? Do you like to control:
- the outcome
- the means to get there
- your reaction whatever the outcome
- others’ reaction to the outcome
11. In reference to Question #10, why might it be hard to release control and let others be themselves?
12. Have the “sins of your fathers” been visited unto you? How so? Are your relationships with the opposite-sex like that of your parents? Do you treat your children as you were treated?
13. Have you ever had to struggle with any negative impact from your mother upon your own life? Upon your religious faith? Upon your career?