Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Are you named after someone? Who? What nicknames have you had?
2. What loyal friend sticks even closer to you than a brother or sister?
3. Why does God have (or allow) Hosea to marry an adulteress? How is God’s covenant with Israel like that?
4. Do you think Gomer was loyal to Hosea at first? Why? Then what happened? Who fathers her second and third children?
5. What do the names of Gomer’s three children mean? What would have been the reaction by local Jews to their births?
6. What hope is given (chapter 1:10 – 2:1)? What is meant by Israel being: (a) as “the sand on the seashore”? (b) “reunited” under “one leader”? (c) “sons of the living God”? (d) “brothers . . . sisters . . . loved ones”?
7. Using the marriage metaphor, describe your relation to God, now and in the past. Have you ever left or “cheated” on God? Was God faithful anyway?
8. Where in your life could you use the hope of restoration Hosea offers?