Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Where does God speak to you most clearly?
- in nature
- in friendships
- in art
- in worship
- in Scripture
- in prayer
2. Recall a time when you deserved to be disciplined, but weren’t. What happened?
3. What money-making venture did you enjoy as a child?
4. The shepherd from Judah (Amos) now turns to Israel. What do you imagine was the Israelites’ response?
5. What do the six sins listed in verses 6 – 8 have in common?
6. What purpose does bring up the Amorites, the Exodus, the prophets and the Nazirites serve in Amos’ argument (verses 9 – 12)?
7. What kind of person would travel in social circles of those indicted here? Is Amos’ indictment of them like a class action suit today? Why or why not?
8. Which statement comes closest to this crowd’s motto?
- get while the gettin’s good
- God helps those who help themselves
- do unto others before they do unto you
- some of us have it, some of us don’t
9. What will happen to the Israelite’s in turn (verses 13 – 16)?
10. If you were given the task of judging Israel’s sins listed here, which would you go easiest on? Which would you judge harshly? Why?
11. How would you know that a nation was repenting of its sins? What may God be calling you to do about these sins? What person or group is addressing the sins that concern you?
12. What will happen without repentance in Israel’s case? In your case?