Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. Have you given testimony or spoken up in another’s defense? What happened? Was that easy or hard for you to do?
2. Who in your church (or small group) has any experience with swarming locusts, consuming fire or a plumb line?
3. What do the three visions of Amos have in common (verses 1 – 9)? How do they differ? Is the judgment conveyed here total? Partial? Universal? Inescapable? Exacting?
4. What do these three visions say about the purpose and character of God? Of Amos?
5. What would be unusual about a person from Judah speaking up on behalf of Israel? Do prayers for mercy change God’s mind (see Genesis 18)? Explain your answer.
6. Why would God relent on the first two judgments but not on the third? Why doesn’t Amos object to God’s action in the third?
7. When have you prayed, as Amos, “God, I beg you to stop”? How did God answer?