Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window)
1. When have you been afraid of the dark and why? How did you get over that fear?
2. What funny or fearful experience have you had with blackouts?
3. From chapter 7:2 – 4 and chapter 8:6, what is “the way of this people” God told Isaiah not to follow? What do they fear contrasted with what Isaiah fears?
4. What effects do these fears have on the way each acts? On God’s response?
5. How does Isaiah respond to Judah’s rejection of His message? How is His family a sign and a symbol from the Lord (verse 18)?
6. How does Isaiah bring out the contrast between mediums and spiritists and God? What should the people be seeking? What “blackout” will result from their refusal to do so?
7. What fears could motivate your agnostic friends to consider God? Job loss? Financial loss? Emotional devastation? Serious illness? If you have no agnostic friends, why is that?
8. From watching your life this week, what would someone say it means for you to fear God?
9. How is Jesus both a “sanctuary” and a “stumbling block” (verse 14; Romans 9:33; 1 Peter 2:6 – 8)? Which is He to you right now?
10. What does the rise of the New Age movement (occultism and spiritism) tell you about people’s spiritual hunger today? What would Isaiah say to those involved?