Scripture Text:(click to open in a new window or tab)
1. Have you ever wished you had not been born? If so, when and why? Did your parents ever say they wish you’d never been born? If so, how did such words affect your outlook on life?
2. Why does Jeremiah think God is being unfair (verses 10, 15 – 18)? Would you agree? Why does Jeremiah wish he’d never been born? What other reward for his dedication to God was he expecting?
3. Does God console him or punish him in verses 11 – 14? In verses 16 – 18? Of what does Jeremiah need to repent (verse 19)? How does God use both the “carrot” and the “stick” with Jeremiah?
4. If you could go back and change anything in your life, what would you change? What do you wish could have happened instead?
5. Do you think serving the Lord was a pleasant task for Jeremiah? Would you have liked his job? Do you ever feel unrewarded for your dedication? Unappreciated by God? By others? How does God equip you for the role you play?
6. Do you receive enough encouragement and support from your church (or small group)? How could your church (or small group) provide more of what you need?